Wednesday, January 26, 2011

21 year old old woman.

I feel like an old person tonight. Why? Well simple reason, the arthritis in my ankle is acting up. It's only really bad when the weather starts to change giving me that whole "I can feel the weather changing in my bones" super power. I hate the feeling, a lot. Some times it's so bad it feels like it's broken again and other times it's even worse and I cry until my pills kick in. 


Right now it's the lesser, only feeling as though it's broken again. I had a hot bath hoping that the dull ache I was feeling earlier in the night was just from walking around Walmart for a couple hours. However, when I got out of the tub and laid down for a while I knew it was more than just normal wear and tear. 


So I figured, since I'm up right now anyways, I would write a new blog as I haven't in a while. So here it is, because after I take my pills for the pain I have to stay awake and busy for a while to distract myself from the feeling they give me. It's a hard feeling to describe but it's weird enough that it will start to make me panic if I don't go unchecked. Luckily, the last couple times I had people to talk to to keep my mind from wondering if I accidentally took too much (even though I only pop 2 at maximum) or if there's something wrong with them and I'm going to die. 


Lets awkwardly jump back to me in grade 7 now. Why? Well, that's when I broken the ankle that acts up. I broke it at my first ever wrestling meet, during my first ever "real" match. Yeah, by the way, I was totally a female wrestler in junior high. Aren't I just the awesomest? I didn't even realize I had broken it until near the end of the match, when we had to both stand back up and start again from upright position. When I stood and put weight on the foot I fell back down to the mat. I was winning 7 to 3 and there was about 10 seconds left to go. My coach (and most favourite teacher in the world) came over and took a look, told me he thought I'd broken it and then asked me what I wanted to do. I asked him how much longer there was to go in the match, he told me and I decided to play it out and spend the seconds avoiding her and not letting her get anymore points. 


My mother loves to tell people the story, but she never tells them how long I had left in the match from the time I realized my ankle was broken. She also leaves out that because of the adrenaline, I didn't feel any pain. From my ankle down was completely numb, it actually felt like my foot had fallen asleep. I won the match, of course, I was already winning when my ankle broke. And because there were only 4 of us in my weight class my one win in my only match got me 3rd. I was a bit of an asshole (okay, a real big bitch) back in junior high, so it made me very happy that the girl who lost to me had to go back home knowing that not only did she break my ankle but she lost to me. With a broken ankle, I kicked her ass. 


Anyways, when we finally got to the hospital (as we weren't sure it was broken and figured it was just a sprain or a twist and I wanted to stay and see if maybe I could still compete and to also cheer on my friends) the doctor said, after looking at my x ray, that it was the type of fracture that you would see in someone who jumped from the roof of about 5 stories  high and landed on their feet. He couldn't believe I'd gotten it just from wrestling. So, I got a cast and had to use crutches for a while. Which was hard since it was winter... and the bus stop closest to my school was still a literal block away from the actual school. My opposite leg got nice and beefy while my ankle heeled. 


So that's the story. I'm going to go watch Criminal Minds until I feel comfortable going to bed without panicking. 

1 comment:

  1. I snapped my humors bone in half wrestling they made me do it in gym fucker jumped on my arm trying to pin me. Everyone always told me breaking a bone hurts and you'll cry and I was like oh pain whatever its not broken. Oh I cant move it and apparently their was a sick crack maybe its a fracture... though at the time I had no idea what that was I assume it was a... minor break :?

    Anyways I now have 7 by 2 inch I believe it was of stainless steel as well as 7 screws in my arm and a huge scar I have the xrays around here I could check but I'm lazy. As the humors cannot be put in a cast or splint they had to cut me open and drill a plate in to keep it together I also had minor nerve damage as the nerve was pinched by the break I lost the ability to move my entire arm for nearly an entire year losing all muscle mass in the arm my friends and even just people I hung out with occasionally offering to break his arm or beat the shit out of him really made me feel loved. Though I said it was alright and shit cuz Im like that. I got morphine though my dad enjoyed it more laughing at me as I stared at the tv for like 10mins despite it being off good times.

    ReplyDelete