Thursday, November 18, 2010

Text Based Fun


So it's time to take a break from being serious or advertising my brother. I'd like to take some time to talk about the joys of my life.


Recently my brother started posting a blog. Like I mentioned then, he is the funniest person I know. Makes me laugh like nobody else to ever exist ever. Ever. He is the only person in the known universe that can make me laugh by pointing out a flaw or insecurity of mine.The only. I have had boyfriends in the past notice this about my relationship with my brother and attempt to replicate it. This, of course, ends in a premature termination of our relationship because I don't take that crap from no one. Except my brother. But he does it with nothing but love and humour, and I know he does it with love but when someone else does it it stings. 


Anyways, we've been being ridiculous in his comments section in the style of a text based adventure game. It made me realize that more than anything I go through cycles of loving these types of games. I find them to be the best thing ever and then eventually forget about them and lose interest. It's possibly because I don't have much experience with good genuine text based adventure games. My experience is literally limited to the 3 you can find in the games section of the website HomestarRunner.com. They are as follows;

Dungeon Man which is quite literally over before you even get into it. 
Peasant Quest which is a combination text and graphic game.
Dungeon Man 3 which completely discards the reality that you should have a 2nd to a game before a 3rd. 


I'm very interested in finding other actual text based games, but really wouldn't know where to start. Can anyone help me with this?

7 comments:

  1. Depends on the style of text based game you like. I MUCK pretty frequently, which is sort of like mIRC-with-rooms-meets-roleplay. Good if you like the tabletop sort of gaming, or writing dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm maybe slightly too young to really remember good text-based games (or more likely I was a console gamer at the time) but here are some suggestions with varying levels of text-basedness:

    Zork
    King's Quest (the whole series)
    Maniac Mansion
    Day of the Tentacle
    Oregon Trail
    Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a Hitchhiker's Guide text based game that was written by Douglas Adams himself. I'm just sayin' is all...

    ReplyDelete
  4. O_________O You are the best person in my world right now, Clever! I must have this! MUST HAVE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a cool relationship. That's my relationship with my boyfriend. :-)

    http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Use this link wisely, Sha. http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocom.php :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww do I have to Clever? :( I want to use it as unwisely as possible.

    ReplyDelete