Friday, October 15, 2010

Asthma

I have had asthma for as long as I can remember, and then some. When I was still an infant I had some breathing issues, in that I would stop doing it. I actually died twice because of it. Luckily my mother is a superhero. She heard the lack of sound, from when I stopped breathing, with her super powered "mom ears" and rushed me to the hospital. After they got me back to life and breathing again, I decided to make them try once more and stopped breathing again. 

Ever since then my asthma has been a constant companion for me. From when I joined the "running team" in elementary, to when we had to do "track and field" in gym class. It was always there and was always humiliating me. 

I'm a bit of a larger girl right now, and have never been "normal" or even "skinny" sized. So I was essentially the stereotype of "fat people". Because of my asthma, anytime I did anything overexerting to my respiratory system, I ended up a mass of wheezing and coughing and at the worst of times; panicking. 

The ability to breathe properly is something a lot of people take for granted. 


No comments:

Post a Comment